Choosing a builder for your dream home is one of the most important decisions you will ever make. You should be certain going into the process that you have selected the right company for the job. Two independent resources, the National Association of Home Builders and NewHomeGuide.com, have each published articles with suggestions and tips to help guide you in your decision-making process. Below are summarized excerpts from their lists:
- Get referrals from architects, designers, real estate agents, friends and family. People who have dealt directly with the home builder can give you good advice and insight on their process, proficiency and personality.
- Find out how long the builder has been in business, that they have a permanent business location and a solid reputation with local banks and suppliers.
- Check if the builder is a member of professional associations and if they have received any special certifications or industry awards.
- Interview the builder and ask about their current projects and portfolio. Is the builder someone with whom you can have good communication and rapport?
- Ask to see the builder’s work, both completed and in progress. Check for the quality of detail, workmanship and materials. Ask the builder plenty of questions about the home-building process.
- Follow up with the builder’s references. Ask these clients about the builder’s strengths and weaknesses. Ask if there were there any problems during the building process and how, and how quickly, problems were addressed and fixed. Ask the clients how happy they are with their new home.
- Check to see if sample contracts are complete and clearly written. Review a copy of the home warranty and contract.